This multi transverse mode M140 laser diode component is pressed fit mounted in an aluminum housing and has an aluminum mountable heat-sink. The laser is set in the heat sink with thermally conductive paste. The front of the component contains a adjustable high efficiency glass focusing lens for the laser output. The laser has an ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM of 2W and should only be run at this level for very short times. Additional cooling techniques would be advisable if you want to run for extended periods at this high power. 1 amp at 1.2W will allow for longer “on” times and will not degradate the laser as quickly. Thermal issues are the number one reason for catastrophic failure of the laser. while the mounting case provides heat sinking capability for the laser diode, it is up to the consumer to make sure the laser is operating effectively within these limits.
Absolute Maximum Ratings:
|Item||Absolute Maximum Ratings||Unit|
|Forward Current (Tc = 25°C)||1.7||A|
|Absolute max output optical power||2||W|
|Allowable Reverse Current (Tc = 25°C)||85||mA|
|Operating Case Temperature||50||°C|
Electrical / Optical Characteristics
|Typical Optical Output Power @1 amp||1.2||1.4||W|
|Typical Operating Current||1||1.7||A|
|Focused Spot Size||6||8||Mil|
|Beam Divergence Full Anlge (1/e^2) //||5||14||25||deg.|
|Beam Divergence Full Anlge (1/e^2) – Perp||30||44||50||deg.|
-Above specifications are for reference purposes only and are subject to change. Figures in specifications may contain measurement errors.
Dimensions and mounting hole locations:
The laser diode output will vary depending on the temperature. While there is a housing and a small heat sink, it is recommended that the diode not be on for long periods of time. The laser diode will also require more current to maintain the same amount of output power as the diode degrades.
Take precaution when handling laser diodes as they are a static sensitive devices. There is a built in protection in the diode which can help in normal static situations but it is no guarantee. Static electricity and electrical surges will degrade the performance of the laser diode.
Laser light can cause damage to eyesight and skin if proper laser safety is not used. Always wear the appropriate laser goggles to prevent any laser light, either directly or indirectly to contact the eye. Never expose skin directly to laser radiation. Focused light will increase the safety hazard.
By purchasing this component laser diode you are agreeing to the following.
– You are over 18 years of age .
– You understand that these components that are mentioned above are dangerous when not properly assembled into a finished product.
– You will use these as components and properly incorporate them into a finished product.
– You will use these diodes/modules in a safe and responsible manner and for a legal purpose.
– You are legally responsible for the use of these components, improper use of these components or their end products.
– You are legally responsible for any injury to anybody resulting from the use of or assembly of these components or their finished products.
– You Accept this diode/module as a COMPONENT for integration in a system of YOUR OWN design and will be legally responsible from any and all LIABILITIES. These Diodes and Modules are sold solely as a component for incorporation into the customer’s end products. Therefore, this diode/module is exempt from compliance with the appropriate requirements of FDA 21CFR, section 1040.10 and 1040.11 for complete products.