All the choices to add a laser to your Openbuilds CNC in one place. This kit works with the standard openbuilds spindle mount sold in their machine kits. Works with popular machine like Lead 1010, WorkBee, and C-Beam. The laser cables support up to a 40″ x 40″ machine size. If you need bigger, let us know.
1. Pick your Laser Wattage:
There are 4 wattage levels to choose from (2.8W, 4.2W or 7W+). Most customers go with the 2.8W, 4.2W or the 7W. The lower power has a lower price, but will take longer to do the same burn level in an engraving. The 4.2W will go 2x as fast and the 7W will go 4x as fast for the same burn level as the 2.8W. The 2.8W has a bit finer detail, but you can also get the high resolution lens option for the 4.2W and the 7W lasers.
2. Do you want the Magnetic Shrouded Version?
Upgrade to our new Laser Shroud for added safety. Click Here for details on our new Laser Shroud. All non shrouded lasers will include a magnet base for use with the magnet mounts. Both the shroud and the magnet base can be screwed into the mount if you don’t wish to use the quick connect option. *All 7W lasers will need to have the shroud upgrade selected. We do not offer a 7W without a shroud.*
3. Choose Your Power Cord:
We have options for U.S. (North America), UK (United Kingdom), EU (European Union), and AU (Australia).
4. Do you want to add the High Resolution AR Coated Lens
This lens will create a smaller and more “rounded” beam to the laser giving a higher resolution spot. While this is not as noticeable on the smaller wattage lasers, it can be a significant improvement for >3.8W lasers when engraving and cutting. We recommend adding the high resolution lens on all 4.2W and 7W laser bundles. Click HERE for more information.
The standard kit comes with:
- Laser diode component with mounting screws
- Laser Shroud or Magnet Base Plate
- Adjustable Safety Compliant Laser Diode Driver
- Power Cord
- Laser Safety Goggles for 445nm Lasers
- Laser Fan
- Laser Quick Connect Magnet Mount
- 3 foot Mini Molex Jr. Input Cable
- Mounting Screws
- Driver Mounting Sticky Squares
- 10 foot Laser and Fan Extension Cables
- Zip Ties and Zip Tie Holders
We still have all of the features that make this laser kit awesome – precision laser trimmed regulators for constant current to the laser, 0.01 tuning resolution, digital isolation, soft start, esd protection, current limiting, and the list goes on. But NOW we have more safety in mind as well! The US Federal Government has a list of things that are required for operating these high power class 4 lasers. They might seem trivial, but they could save your eyesight! Here is a run down of the new safety features to protect yourself and others:
- Key Switch – This key is needed to enable the laser. When the key switch is turned on, the laser is enabled and the key CANNOT come out. You can only remove the key when it is disabled. This feature is good if you have curious children or have your laser in a shared area and want to limit use. Just take the key out and hide it!
- Remote Interlocks – This feature allows for addition of switches to your enclosure so when it is open, the laser will automatically turn off. Also provides for the addition of an E Stop button for the laser, which is always good for if you need to stop the laser super quick! Add as many switches as you want to make a super safe area for your laser machine so nobody can accidentally look into the laser.
- Power Fault Protection – This one may seem like it is not needed, but hear us out. Consider your power goes out in your area where the laser is located. You were running your program and then everything is dark… Power doesn’t come back on for awhile… long enough for you to forget that the laser was left ON! You come back and are checking your laser and boom, the power is back on, right when you are looking straight at it. Well, don’t worry because the laser will be disabled whenever the power to the driver is lost. Press the reset button and you are back in action!
- Emission Indicator – The small little LED on the front to let you know your really super bright laser is on… They require this in case you are using an infrared invisible laser.